Christ Church in Shimla
The most prominent building on the Mall is the yellow Christ Church,
reputed to be the second oldest church in northern India.
The silhoutte of this can be seen on the skyline for miles around. It
was designed by Colonel JT Boileau in 1844, but consecrated only after
The clock was donated by Colonel Dumbleton in 1860, and the porch
added in 1873.
In Shimlas 75 years of reigning as summer capital, a long line
of officials and other notables of the Raj came to the church for
their Sunday prayers. The seasonal influx would be so great at times
that space would pose a big problem.
and once it so happened that a vicar was even prompted to preach a
sermon against the space taken up by womens crinolines. Lo and
behold, next Sunday, the chastened ladies turned up in riding outfits!
Now, of course, the congregations have dwindled and there is no lack
More than half a century has slipped by since the last Viceroy of
India has prayed here, but nothing much seems to have changed in
It still has those lovely stained glass windows for which it is so
Check out the one that represents the virtues of Faith, Hope, Charity,
Fortitude, Patience and Humility. But around the chancel window used
to be a beautiful fresco designed by Rudyard Kiplings father,
Lockwood Kipling, who was the principal of Mayo School of Art in
Sadly, nothing of it remains today. Note the interesting brasses and
Note : English language
service is held every Sunday.