Built by Akbar in 1570 for his visits
to Ajmer as well as a bastion for his advancing empire, the fort is
rather small compared to others. But its lack of size is compensated
by its impregnable structure, being one of the strongest forts in
southeast Rajasthan. The entire fort is surrouned by two thick walls;
one on the outside and another running parallel to it on the inside.
The fort walls encompass a double storeyed palace surrounded by a row
of columns held together at the top by arches. A large hall in the
centre of the palace leads into number of rooms around it, meant for
the emperor and his entourage while he was in Ajmer.
Sir Thomas Roe, East India Companys envoy met Jahangir in this
fort in 1616. The British took charge of the fort in 1818, and during
the mutiny of 1857 used it as a magazine to hold arms and ammunition,
calling it the Rajputana Arsenal
This imposing edifice was converted into the Ajmer Museum in 1908 and
is open from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. throughout the week except on
Fridays. The museum houses 6th and 7th century Hindu sculptures and
fine examples of Rajput and Mughal armour. A black marble statue of
Goddess Kali is a must see.
Major Tour Packages To Rajasthan